Medium Voltage Products
Our drives, motors and automation systems deliver quality you can trust.
Explore our Medium Voltage portfolio.
Five Star Electric (FSE) is the world leader in the application and installation of Medium Voltage Variable Speed Drive and Solid State Reduced Voltage Starters. Our medium voltage variable frequency drive systems are designed to provide maximum versatility, efficiency and process availability, while the solid state starter packages are the perfect choice when speed control is not required, yet high capacity soft starting is desired. In addition to variable frequency drives, our medium voltage products include solid state starters, transformers and switchgear rated from 2.3kv to 13.8kv and ranging from 150 kW to 120 MW at motor speeds from 10-15,000 rpm. Medium voltage circuit breakers, disconnects, synchronous bypass units, transformers and power control rooms are specified and selected based on customer’s needs and application criteria.
Medium Voltage Variable Speed Drives
Our engineering expertise has made our drive packages the choice for demanding applications that require the highest levels of reliability, precision and longevity. Our VFD’s have been utilized in applications ranging from power generation to oil and gas, water, marine, pulp and paper production, metals and steel, to HVAC. The VFD packages are designed to help you significantly increase productivity, enhance energy efficiency, and reduce operating costs.
Resources and Links
- Lower operating costs
- Precise process control
- Enhanced energy savings
- Increased production efficiency
- Exceptional reliability
- Intuitive HMI
- Integrated Programmable Logic Controller for up to 8 motors
- Door Mounted HMI (optional)
- Copper Bus Assembly-Run Bus and VFD Bus-800-1200 Amp
- Electromechanical or Solid State Bypass Configurations
- Manual or Synchronous Bypass Options
- Complete Integrated Line-Ups with Main Input Switch Assemblies or Main Breakers
- Motor Protection Relays
- Integrated in Power Control Buildings
Medium Voltage Solid State Starters
Only Benshaw has designed, built and supports more than 40,000 solid state starters, from 2,300 volts to 15KV, for applications ranging from pumps, compressors and chillers to fans and blowers, crushers, chippers and conveyors; for every motor type: induction, synchronous, two-speed, reversing and wound rotor. The RediStart CFMVRMX series with MX3 technology is a fully integrated, programmable family of Class E2 load break/combination solid state starters. This integrated design includes control and power electronics, bypass and isolation contactors that reduce maintenance and operating costs when compared to other methods.
Resources and Links
- Protect machinery from failure and excessive maintenance caused by mechanical shock during starting or stopping. Solid State Starters provide smooth, stepless acceleration and controlled deceleration.
- Protect electrical systems from disruptive voltage drops and power outages caused by motor locked rotor inrush current. Solid State Starters precisely control the current ramp during start up.
- Protect mission critical motors from failure or unscheduled outages caused by machine or electrical system faults. The Solid-State Starter provides complete, high performance, coordinated line monitoring, motor control and protection.
- Nominal Voltage Ratings 2.3 KV TO 13.8 KV
- Closed Loop Current Control Ramp
- Torque Ramp, Power Ramp (KW), Voltage Ramp
- Vacuum Bypass Contactor, Fixed Mounted
- Power Ratings 500% FLA For 30 SEC 125% CONT.
- Control Input 120 VAC or Dry Contact, 2 OR 3 Wire
- Standard Insulation Test 2X Rated V + 2,000V
- Ambient Temperature 0 – 40° C at Sea Level
- Overall Efficiency (W/ Bypass) 99.5%
- Metering Functions 47 Parameters
- Relay Outputs 24 Functions
- Over/Under Voltage Protection 10 to 30%
- Power Loss (W/ Bypass) <1.0 Watt/Amp/Phase
- Transient Protection DV/DT Circuits/PHASE
- SCR Fiber Optic Firing Technique Continuous Block Gate
Medium Voltage Switchgear
Our medium voltage switchgear offers a rack-out circuit breaker design. A remote breaker control panel and arc flash sensing options are also available to enhance personnel safety. In addition, we offer a full metal-clad switchgear solution. MVCB switchgear assemblies are provided in a NEMA-rated enclosure configured for use as a stand-alone unit, in an equipment line-up or in a motor control center (MCC) configuration. Our switchgear connects seamlessly to other equipment for a space-saving design to feed line-ups or in large starter solutions. The Five Star Engineering Support team is available to customize switchgear designs to meet a customers’ specific application needs without extended lead times.
Resources and Links
- Bolts directly to Solid State Starters or Variable Speed Drive packages
- CSA Special inspection
- Available in 1200A or 2000A standard (3000A option is custom)
- Feeder protection included, customer to specify manufacturer
- Available up to 13.8kV
- Configurable with added options
- Rack-out design standard
- Remote breaker control panel
- 40kA fault rated
- Rack-out design
- NEMA 1A indoor enclosure
- Welded 11 gauge steel construction
- Feeder protection with CPT and PT
- Green open pilot light
- Red closed pilot light
- Amber trip pilot light
- Open push-button
- Closed push-button
- Manual racking device
- Bus rated to CB size
- Line power top entry standard
- Load power top exit